How many times do you hear the phrase "Mum I'm bored" from your pre-teen during the long summer holidays? Too many I bet with a few tantrums and tears along the way
Tweens are at that in-between 10 - 12 years old a tricky in-between age still young but with the mood swings of a teenager
With the summer holidays just around the corner, I am already thinking about how on earth am I going to keep my 10 year old entertained and happy during the long 6-week summer holidays, I tend to find that although she is still at an age where she likes to play with her toys she wants to join in with what her two older teenage sisters are doing.
Well, don't worry, I have you covered I have put together a list of boredom buster activities. Fingers crossed you will get a cuppa in peace with a sneaky piece of cake!
Boredom Buster Jar Activities
- Write & illustrate a comic
- Set yourself a reading challenge of reading at least one book a week
- Go to an outdoor concert or music festival
- Sleep outside on the trampoline
- Go to an escape room
- Create a paint pouring art
- Write a song
- Learn how to bake bread
- Make soap
- Create a scrapbook
- Volunteer for a local charity
- organise your room
- Go Geocaching
- Play capture the flag at a local park woodland with friends
- Create a bucket list of 100 things to do in your lifetime
- Turn an old item of clothing into something new
- Upcycle a piece of furniture
- dedicate yourself to at least 90 minutes of physical activity a day
- Explore your home town
- Learn a new card game you haven't played before
- Complete a 100 piece puzzle
- Have a spa day at home
- Binge-watch your favourite TV show
- Collect information from family members about your family history and then share your findings with everyone
- Tie-Dye Tshirts
- Make a creative ice cream sundae
- Make a photo collage
- start a book club either online or in-person
- Interview your siblings and write a family newsletter
- Host a scavenger hunt
- Record a radio show
- Host afternoon tea for family or friends
- Go for a picnic
- Help around the house!
Before you go take a look at my Holiday Activities - A Parents Ultimate Guide for even more ideas to keep the boredom at bay.
Some of these activities may need a little help from a family member.
What a great list of activities! Saving your page for when we cannot come up with ideas of what to do with our threenager! Thank you!
Amazing list of activities.. creative as well as entertaining too. Tweens won’t be bored Thank you for sharing this I’m saving them.
Some great activities to keep the young ones busy.
I don't have tweens yet. my son is 5. but they are great ideas? I can use some.
Awesome ideas, I shall try some
Great post keep up the great work.
This is a great list of activities, your tweens won't get bored this summer for sure.
These are some great ideas especially for summer holidays.
Great ideas for parents who have children or kids who would moan ''I'm bored'' lol, hopefully, when I became a parent one day I wouldn't hear this a lot. 🙂
Thank you so much, I really got few new ideas for my teens on school holiday!
My mom did this when I was a child. She'd have a list of fun activities for us to do specially during the summer. Mostly, were puzzle games or engaging in sports (since technology isn't as high tech compared today). These are great ideas!
Great ideas! I will have to tell my friends with kids about this post!
These are great ideas I can use in the future. It's a good thing there's plenty i can choose from.
This looks good. I can certainly send it to a friend who has tweens.
My daughter is always like this. I'll try one or two of these this weekend.
O wow such an awesome list! I really want to visit an escape room
These ideas are awesome!
Escape room is a good idea. You can put them in there and relaxed. Hahaha
These are great ideas that can work for even adults.
I love all of these ideas because they actual stimulate their minds, and make them less video game zombies!
So many great activities! I can't believe I forgot about geocaching. My boys would love that
Love all these ideas!